Friday 8 February 2013

EVALUATION: Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feelyou have learnt in the progression from it to its full product/

Masthead Progression:


Photography and cropping:
 Even from this far out you can clearly see which image is the clearest, when zooming in further the quality is lost from the left preliminary image becoming blurry and pixelated whereas the right hand image stays fully in focus. During the progression i learnt that i needed to improve on the quality by taking a closer shot, getting a better camera, improving the background so that it could easily be removed and improve the lightning all of which i think i have done.

My cropping standard from preliminary to music task has greatly improved, on my school magazine cover the crop is rough and ugly whereas above you can clearly see straight cut edges and the background easy to change to whatever is desired.

Typography:
In my school magazine numerous fonts were used which looked a bit 'mish mash' and didnt fit in well or compliment each other. For my music task i used a total of 3 fonts altogether throughout my 4 pages produced, this kept the house style consistent and instantly recognisable to my magazine. It also fitted in well with the target audience, it was easy to read and simple therefore appealing to all my age range (not being too child like) and it kept it professional.


Conventions:
In my preliminary task i didnt include key conventions such as price, also i just seemed to stick the bar code in the top left hand corner - a location it never goes in - and it makes it look really out of place. There is little anchorage text or snippets to what is inside on my school cover and it only gives you 3 pieces of information on what you can find inside. On my music magazine cover loads of bands/musicians are listed to give the reader an idea of what is inside, also free posters are offered as well as news on T in the Park festival and my main cover story. 

For my school contents page the layout is boring and follows a classic way of contents pages whereas for my music contents i have broken boundaries and chose a unique design layout with plenty of images and less text this makes my magazine more unique and recognisable and shows how i have developed to be able to create new ideas to use. In my school magazine i have missed out key details such as web adress of issue number which are classic conventions of magazine, i have ensured that all these features go in my music magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment