Monday 4 February 2013

EVALUATION: In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

Contents Page:
One of the first things i laid down on my contents page was the masthead and 'This Month' this is a typical convention on contents pages to include the masthead and then a few following words usually 'contents', 'this week/month' or 'inside'. 
My version ------> 

Existing examples:
This feature is usually at the top of the contents page which i have stuck to.

Images:
On contents pages lots of images are usually found typically at least 2, on my contents page i have tried to be very visual and challenge this convention therefore usuing 6 original images taken by me. Here are 2 examples of magazines contents pages, one features only 2 images whilst the other has 5, next to them is my version with 6.


 Other common features:
Also on my cotents page i have featured many common conventions such as issue number, web address, the date(in my case month) and again the repeatition of the tagline. For where my features are displayed i have used 3 subtitles - news, reviews and monthly. I think the rhyme of news and reviews goes well, along with the catchiness of ready set stage also on my contents page. I have been challenging with my contents as there is little writing compared to most and it is mainly taken up by images. Subtitles are often used in contents page to categorise/break up the content.

On some contents pages it offers a subscribe today section (see below)
This is a feature which is not as common in magazines so i only used it briefly in my magazine to fill up a gap however it is still a regular feature in magazines like kerrang. On the examples to the left it is in quite a lot of detail about pricing and telephone numbers however i only mentioned 'subscribe today'.


However i challenged myself further by including a digital copy feature on the contents page. After much research i have still not found a single contents page which features a QR code digital copy feature. After scouring many copies and the internet i have saw QR codes on double page spread features offering information about singles but never on the contents. This pushed my creative skills and i think it makes my magazine really unique and offers a different viewing method for the reader. It is me challenging typical conventions of magazines however it this case i am creating a unique convention which i could see used in the future as more digital copies are becoming avaliable e.g. newspapers.



No comments:

Post a Comment